26 August 2009

Family Album (Family Reunion, Part II)

Saturday afternoon, we got caught in a huge thunderstorm as we drove through winding country roads, past fields of tobacco and soy beans, by an old, faded green, run-down house where my great grandfather grew up, to Oak Grove Methodist Church. Running from our cars to the church to escape the downpour, we were greeted inside by my grandfather, who instructed us to put on nametags (again, it was a huge gathering!). Before all the relatives started pouring in, I spent time looking into the Sunday School room where a bunch of old family photographs were displayed on tables. I learned a lot about my ancestors in that room:


Some of them had style.


Some were mothers.


Some were Ivy Leaguers.


Some were glamorous.


Some had friends of all kinds.


Some let others do all of the hard work.


Some were nudists in their youth.


Some, I would’ve liked to have laughed with.


Some were studs.


Some seemed a little eccentric.


And some were soulmates.

No comments:

Post a Comment