11 October 2010

Eating Miss Piggy for Lunch...wait, is that a...no...NOO!!

Today, for la comida, for lunch, we had soup with white beans. Simple enough, right? I was excited to eat a nice, vegetarian, Spanish dish. That is, until my Spanish aunt (who is visiting for the holiday, Columbus Day/a religious day for la Virgen de Pilar), proceeded to take chunks of pig out of the soup that had been in the pot...its piggy juices soaking, flavoring the meal. Mi tía placed the chunks of pig into a bowl, which sat in front of me the entirety of the meal. As she removed the parts of the pig from the pot, I thought, "Gosh, the whole pig must be in there!" and thought back to one of my beloved childhood figures, Miss Piggy. Only, wait, what's that on my aunt's spoon? Is that a...no, I'm just being perverted. But really, that looks an awful lot like...could it REALLY be a...

Mi tia española's expression and my host father's snicker confirmed it for me. This little piggy was not a Miss Piggy.

That's right. I spent the entirety of lunch staring at the pig penis lying on the bowl in front of me. I could not tear my eyes from it. I had no idea what conversations were going on around me. Until my host father took the pig penis and put it into his soup on his plate. Oh no, no God, oh please... I couldn't bear to watch, but the next time I glanced over, the pig penis was gone.

My host father ate a pig penis for lunch today. MY host father ate a pig penis for lunch today. My HOST FATHER ate a pig penis for lunch today. My host father ATE a pig penis for lunch today. My host father ate a PIG PENIS for lunch today. My host father ate a pig penis FOR LUNCH today. My host father ate a pig penis for lunch TODAY. There's just no way of saying it that will EVER make that sentence sound OK.

1 comment:

  1. Que curioso! Siempre penso que no esta comida interesante en espana... Pues, a menos en comparacion a los otros paises in Europa.

    Y estoy de acuerdo- es dificil a aprender un otro idioma cuando hay ingles EN TODAS PARTES. Buena suerte!!!

    ReplyDelete