03 March 2011

Things I Did Tonight Instead of Reading

I'm behind in my discussion questions for the week. (Tell me something new!) In fact, I was so stressed today, that when I talked to nuestra profesora about the final project with the other members of my group, she told me not to look so sad and scared about the final, and I started crying. I cried when I got home because I was stressed, sick, overwhelmed, and sad about leaving all of the people I've grown to love in Oaxaca. Tonight, I made progress in The Underdogs (original Spanish title: Los de abajo) while sipping on a chai latte in a cafe, but here are some of the things I did instead of staying cooped up in my room reading:

-Met a 102 year-old woman named Teresa (her 103rd birthday is this month!). Her cheeks are still rosy, but her eyes were tinted blue, and she's not aware of her surroundings, so I suppose it's a bit of a stretch to say that I "met" her; I more just sat across the table from her and stared intently while chatting in Spanish with the nurse taking care of her. Her skin was like white paper stretched over her face, and it looked very soft, almost like a fragile white butterfly wing.
-Went to a restaurant that was on the second floor of a building, with white scarves draped over the windows and a light that cast shadows like crescent moons over the walls.
-In said restaurant, I met an incredibly friendly hairless Mexican dog (Xoloitzcuintle) named Haiku. She even had her own little embroidered shirt!
-Ate some kind of delicious dish: chicken, rice, black sauce, corn. Scrumptious! And mezcal...to kill all these germs I have from being sick, of course!
-Danced salsa for two hours with my friend Juan and his hermano mexicano Saul, an incredible dancer who gave us our own private lessons! I had fun laughing and being twirled around by Saul and Juan.

And nobody gets to tell me that my night would have been better spent reading—not nobody, not no how!

No comments:

Post a Comment